Monday, May 16, 2005

MBA

This morning I had the unique opportunity to talk with Robert Cox, President of the Media Bloggers Association. You may remember last week I wrote about a blogger’s convention run by Cox in Nashville. This morning I asked Cox if he envisioned blogs as the next generation of newspapers as some have speculated. Cox said he believes that most major newspapers will actually enter the blogging arena themselves. Cox may be right on with his supposition. Just a couple of days ago reports came out that the New York Times was considering launching a blog. He also felt that blogs would seriously influence hyper-local citizen’s media. Hyper-Local Citizen’s Media (what the heck is that?) These are information websites that are written by “citizens” about local issues. The best restaurants in town, the selection of the new high school principal, discussion about a community’s budget, these are typical topics presented on a hyper-local site. Cox also discussed the audio-blog and its big brother the Podcast. He sees these as competitor of satellite radio. I told him I was overwhelmed with the twists and turns that information mediums were taking…after the conversation I asked my self… I am getting old?

No comments: