Wednesday, February 10, 2010

"Who" Dat Band?



I remember when The Who broke on to the scene in the sixties along with other British invasion bands. They were fabulous. Most of these bands are long gone now, but The Who is legendary. They were great in the sixties and as the year’s progress they got even better, culminating with Tommy, a groundbreaking Rock Opera. But time moves on for all, including The Who.

Check this out… The Who formed as a band in 1964…35 years ago! Lead singer Roger Daltry was born in 1944. He is 65 years old now! Rocker/composer Pete Townshend was born in 1945. He is 64, one year younger than Daltery!

As I watched The Who during the Super Bowl half time show I keep wondering…when is the NFL going to wake up and stop bringing America a bunch of has-beens. More people watch the Super Bowl halftime show than any other twenty minutes performance on TV…Why? Why would you give that time to an over the hill rock band whose singers can’t high notes anymore? My eardrums cringed when Roger Daltry strained then screamed out his very first note. Then when Pete Townsend tried to harmonize with Daltrey, I uttered “oh no” and said to myself..."this isn't The Who I remember".

I have seen many Super Bowl half time shows, but this years was the worst I can remember, even worse than The Rolling Stone’s 2006 disastrous performance.

Time for P. Diddy

1 comment:

bostonbubble said...

Actually, 1964 was 45 (or 46) years ago, not 35.