Monday, June 21, 2004

On Wednesday June 23, a group of some twenty women are coming to the Superior Courthouse. Their visit is part of a program called "Learning in Retirement". I will give them a tour of the building with special attention paid to the Daniel WebsterCourt Room on the second floor. I have also retrieved from the basement some old items for display. These semi-antiques were used by registry employees in the past to record documents (no, not the Wang computer system). My favorite is a bottle of "Recording Ink" certified by the Secretary of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, Edward J Cronin, in 1899. Entries made in the registry's indexes could only be made using this "certified ink". Printed on the bottle's label is the following: "manufactured and furnished under the provisions of Chp 66. sec 2 of the General Laws." I was pretty excited when I discovered it a few years ago. Hopefully, my guests will share my excitement. I will keep you informed.

No comments: