Friday, January 30, 2004

Registry employees held their Super Bowl party today. There was plenty of foods, cakes decorated as football fields, and a wide variety of Patriot's clothing and decorations. Be sure to check out the photos on our website. Almost all of the experts say New England should win; that the Patriots are a better team; that Carolina is lucky to be there. I do agree with all that, but I also have this strange sense that two years ago, a lot of people in St. Louis were saying the exact same things, only then, it was the Rams that were the superior team (and the Patriots were indeed lucky to make it to the Super Bowl in 2001-02). Back in October 2001, I traveled to several different cities to view various registry of deeds computer systems to help select a replacement for our decrepit Wang. Plans called for a Monday visit to the Mecklenburg, North Carolina Registry of Deeds, so Sunday became a travel day with flights from Boston to Atlanta and Atlanta to Charlotte. I arrived at the hotel in downtown Charlotte to discover Eriksson Stadium just a block away with a game between the Carolina Panthers and the New York Jets already under way. I wandered over, someone gave me a ticket, and I caught the entire second half from the upper deck of one end zone. The Panthers stunk. The final score was something like 34 - 3; another loss on their way to a 1 and 15 season. That was only two years ago, so today, I have a hard time seeing how a team that was so bad can win the Super Bowl in just 24 months.

No comments: